Caramel Dipped Pears
Microwave Caramel Recipe
1 C. Butter
2 1/4 C. Packed Light Brown Sugar
1 14 oz. can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 C. Light Corn Syrup
1 t. Vanilla
1. Melt the butter in a large, microwave safe bowl. Make sure that the bowl is large enough that the caramel mixture won’t boil over when it cooks.
2. Add the brown sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and corn syrup. Stir well.
3. Microwave on high for 14-20 minutes(total time will depend on your microwave), removing to stir every 3 minutes, then quickly get it cooking again.
4. When it has reached the right consistency, add the vanilla to the caramel and stir thoroughly.
5. If you don’t cook it long enough, it will be too soft and sticky. If you cook it too long it will be hard and chewy.
6. My microwave only takes 14 minutes, but other microwaves I’ve used take much longer.
7. When the caramel nears 14 minutes of cooking, place a drop of it in a cup of ice water. Wait a minute and then remove it and check the consistency. If it falls apart, it needs to cook longer. If it is too hard, it is over cooked.
TO MAKE THE CARAMEL DIPPED PEARS:
1. Select pears with long stems still attached.
2. Make the caramel according to directions. Allow to cool for a minute or two. Holding the pear by the stem, dip into the caramel and turn to coat on all sides. Hold the pear above the caramel and allow the excess caramel to drip off.
3. Place the pear on a sheet of parchment paper and allow the caramel to firm up.
4. Dip the pear in melted chocolate and then dip the bottom of the pear in chopped nuts, toffee, chocolate shavings, or any other toppings you desire.
5. Place on parchment paper and allow the chocolate to set.
Caramel Dipped Pears! A wonderful holiday treat!