Don’t we all love a healthy BBQ? Well, BBQ season is here!
And, we are here to help you with the menu that will result in food choices that are healthier than some BBQ fare.
The Top 6 BBQ Healthy Favorites:
1) Corn on the Cob – Even though it is a starchy vegetable, corn on the cob is rich in fiber and antioxidants as well as phytochemicals that promote healthy vision. Add red peppers to make wonderful roasted corn/red pepper kabobs!
2) Avocado Burger – Topping a burger with avocado is a good way to add color, taste and nutrition. Avocados are a healthy fat that may promote a healthy heart.
3) Grilled Kabobs – Chicken and shrimp are low-calorie ways to add protein to kabobs along with nutritious veggies. Fresh herbs and olive oil add to the scrumptious taste. Kids love kabobs!
4) Baked Beans – A popular BBQ favorite which provides protein, fiber and important nutrients, such as, folic acid, potassium, iron, and magnesium. Making baked beans yourself is healthier since you can control the amount of sugar that is used.
5) Grilled Veggies – This is a great way to boost the nutritional value of your summer BBQ. Brush them with olive oil and add pepper and sea salt to make them extra tasty.
6) Watermelon – This is a good alternative to high-calorie desserts. Watermelon is a good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C and potassium. The reddish-pink color indicates it is a good source of the antioxidant, lycopene.
More Healthy Eating: Chicken Taco Salad