Healthier Banana Bread
Now, doesn’t this banana bread look scrumptious? And, the recipe has been modified to make it healthier.
The amount of sugar has been reduced and applesauce has been used to replace some of the oil. Personally, I would use coconut oil instead of the vegetable oil. It is healthier!
You can use coconut sugar in place of some of the brown sugar.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil*
- 3 medium tired bananas (brown spotted)
- 2 large eggs
- 7 tablespoons unsweetened vanilla almond milk or nonfat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x5x3” loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Stir together sugars, applesauce, and oil. Set aside.
- Add bananas, eggs, milk, salt, and baking soda to a blender jar and blend until smooth.
- Pour half the banana mixture into the sugar mixture with 1 cup of all purpose flour. Stir until just incorporated, then add the remaining banana mixture and 1 cup whole wheat flour. Mix until just incorporated. Stir in mini chocolate chips if using them. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until a toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs. The top will be a nice golden brown. I like mine to have an underdone river along the top, so I bake it closer to 45 minutes. If you want it to be done throughout, cook it towards the longer time.
- Cool completely before removing loaf from pan, but you can cut slices from the pan after it’s cooled for about 15-20 minutes.
Another Banana Bread Recipe: Cranberry Banana Bread