The Historic Pauline Chapel
The Pauline Chapel is a beautiful chapel on the National Register of Historic Places. It is owned by The Broadmoor Resort.
In 1918, Spencer Penrose submitted two designs for the chapel on behalf of his wife Julie, a devout Catholic, to the Bishop of the Diocese of Denver. The first was a sketch by Broadmoor hotel architects Warren & Wetmore. Later that year, an additional design, in a Spanish Mission style, was sent from Thomas MacLaren & Douglas Hetherington Architects of Colorado Springs. The second rendering was chosen and construction was completed in the spring of 1919. However, Pauline Chapel was not dedicated as a Catholic church until 1925 when St. Paul's Catholic Parish of Colorado Springs was established.
Another resource on the history of the chapel is as follows: "While the Broadmoor Hotel was being built under Spencer Penrose’s watchful eye, his wife was supervising the building of a small chapel across the lake. Her vision for the chapel was Italian Renaissance and the design for the chapel was based on a 14th century model in the Vatican. A Scotsman, Thomas MacLaren, was the chosen architect. He saw art as architecture, and had his hand in many well-known buildings around Colorado Springs. Pauline Chapel was not originally planned as a parish church. Built in 1918, it was a “rest” chapel for the use of hotel guests."
During their travels through Europe in the early 1900's, Mr. and Mrs. Penrose acquired many examples of religious art and artifacts that spoke to the rich history and tradition of the early church. Today, The Pauline Chapel is a popular choice for wedding ceremonies, and is also open to hotel guests and community each Sunday at 9:00am.
New windows were installed after World War II and The Rose Window in the choir loft was added, depicting the Blessed Mother’s crowing as Queen of Heaven. The last of Julie’s projects was a gift of a pipe organ and chimes to the chapel. The installation was completed in 1955. Julie Penrose passed away in 1956. The new St. Paul’s Church opened in 1959. Source...
Leave a Reply.