We take our eye health for granted. What can we do as we age to keep our eyes healthy?
Here are 5 Simple Steps to take:
1. Get tested at least annually! Diseases of the eye can be spotted and then referred to a specialist. Pay attention to symptoms like blurred vision, light flashes, eye pain, swelling or irritation near the eye or eyelid.
2. Wear Sun Glasses. Protect your eyes from bright sunlight and its UV rays. UV extended exposure increase the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration.
3. Quit smoking! Your risks are increased for cataracts, optic nerve damage and macular degeneration.
4. Eat the right foods and nutrients. Omega-3 fatty acids, lutein, zinc, and vitamins E and C have been shown in studies to reduce the risk of eye diseases.
5. Use safety glasses or protective goggles when participating in work tasks and various sports activities. Shield your eyes to protect them!
Another concern in our present-day world is the relation of technology and eye health.
As we continually rely on technology, we increasingly have incidents of eyestrain. How can we protect our eyes in this digital age?
Make sure you blink frequently when working on the computer. On average, we blink about 18 times per minute. However, when we stare at a screen this slows the blink rate. Not blinking enough will lead to itchy, dry and burning eyes.
Here are a few additional ways to protect yourself from eyestrain:
Other contributing factors to developing eyestrain include devices with small print held at non-ergonomic angles too far from the eyes. Also, the blue light emitted from digital screens can cause eye strain and keep you awake at night!
People who wear glasses or contacts are also susceptible to eye strain. Their prescriptions might not be ideal for mid-range viewing of electronics.
Maintain Good Eye Health As You Age!
Colorado Springs Over 50
We would love to hear from you on ideas you would like us to investigate and write about.