In the past, it was thought that everyone was born with a certain level of intelligence. And, all you had to do was live up to that potential. However, scientists have proven that we can increase our potential and have fun in the process!
Here is a List of 7 Hobbies That Will Make You Smarter and Age Successfully:
Based on Scientific Research
Engage In These 7 Hobbies That Will Make You Smarter
It’s Time for Fall Decorating!
Here’s a poem to get you in the mood…
Every season has its special beauty and autumn is no exception.
Watching the trees turn from a uniform green to all varieties of gold, yellow and red is a spectacular experience.
One can almost be blinded by the fiery brilliance.
How can it be that all this beauty is sign of death and decay?
With all this beauty there is a certain sadness in knowing that the changing colors foreshadow the arrival of a long cold winter.
There are so many ideas out there for fall decorating that it is difficult to choose favorites. Here are three fall decorating ideas that are especially appealing. They are also easy to put together!
Fall Decorating – Fall Pumpkin Chair
Let’s start out with something for the porch or for any room of the house to add that touch of fall…a Fall Pumpkin Chair! How cute is this and easy to paint. Look around your house for an appropriate chair or make a trip to the thrift store. You can use this chair year round by using a cushion other times of the year
Fall Decorating – Rustic Fall Table Centerpiece
This rustic fall table centerpiece is made from old fence boards and filled with candles, pumpkins and gourds. If you can’t find fence boards, any distressed wood would do the trick.
Fall Decorating – Fall Décor Mailbox
For those of you who still have a mailbox, this simple display gives an inviting touch to your yard and home. It also doesn’t interfere with the delivery of mail! Be creative and use flowers and ribbon of your choice that will accent your house.
Fall decor is abundant in the stores and online. However, don’t forget about shopping at thrift stores and second hand stores. When people clean out cupboards, drawers and closets, they get rid of seasonal items as well as normal everyday items.
Autumn Leaves Changing Colors
As summer ends and autumn comes
Days get shorter, misty and cold
And in this spectacular season
Nature’s beauty graciously unfold
Trees get ready to slow down
And in autumn take some rest
And show amazing colors of love
That are all at their best
Green fades away quickly
And yellow and orange appear
To show off their vibrant hues
And warmup their surrounding dear
Sunlight and cool nights of autumn
Help leaves to turn orangish red
And combine all things smoothly
To add magic in season’s lovely bed
And all this shedding and replacement
Of leaves continue throughout the year
And trees only shed leaves in autumn
To prepare for another winter dear
This is God’s spectacular display
Of beautiful colors of the fall
During which many changes occur
Including yellow, orange and red of all.
***Inspired by the changing colors of Autumn in Canada.
Enjoy Autumn with these Pumpkin Dessert Recipes - Click Here
www.boomerplaces.com/entertainment/fun-things/You don’t want to miss our suggestions for Over 50 hobbies and activities that are fun and engaging.
Baby boomers are unlike any prior generation because of their attitudes and lifestyles. As research shows, in terms of their hobbies and interests, baby boomers are not going to settle for your usual bingo night as they get older. They enjoy a wide variety of activities ranging from sports and workouts to enjoying their rock ‘n’ roll music.
Even though many boomers care for aging parents as well as children, they still find time for their favorite activities.
So what are popular baby boomer pastimes? Source…
1) Social and Spiritual Experiences
2) Exploring Tech
3) Home Improvement and DIY
5) Aqua Activities
7) Extreme Sports
8) Enjoying Music
9) Career Changes
10) Staying Fit
During retirement each day allows for the freedom of choice. It also allows the retiree to explore new things as a well-deserved reward for all of the hard work accomplished after years of employment. However, it can be quite a challenge to keep things interesting during those long periods of time every day.
There are, of course, those occasional projects and tasks around the house. But, when you think about filling 20 to 30 years of significant and worthwhile things to do, the task may seem a bit overwhelming.
An example of a specific activity is taking a trip to someplace you and your spouse/friend have never been before. The fun is actually in the planning. This is a great way to create memories that will be with you forever.
Another example is to join a sporting group or team. You will not only get into shape, but you will also make new friends.
Here is a list of fun and entertaining ideas to keep retirement anything but mundane: Fun in Retirement
What would you add to this Over 50 Hobbies and Activities?
The Cumbres and Toltec Railroad is a National Historic Landmark. It's a 64-mile day trip that you will thoroughly enjoy and never forget. The narrow-gauge heritage railroad operates between Antonito, Colorado and Chama, New Mexico. It crosses the borders of Colorado and New Mexico 11 times as it chugs its way up and over the 10,015′ high Cumbres Pass.
The Cumbres & Toltec goes where no automobile can go. Most of the route is through “off-the-grid” wilderness, so you’ll experience views into canyons and over ridges that can’t be seen in any other way.
The train travels at a top speed of 12 miles an hour, and that’s the beauty of it!
You won’t miss the aspen groves, the wildflowers, the steep mountain canyons, or the plentiful wildlife.
The steam engine is coal fired and carries you through steep mountain canyons, high desert, and lush meadows as you zig zag between the Colorado and New Mexico borders. There is, indeed, spectacular and rare Western scenery which can only be viewed from the train's unique route.
The Cumbres and Toltec Railroad has steamed through history and across the Rocky Mountains since 1880, when first tracks were laid across Cumbres Pass. This unique experience will take you back in time and off of the grid so you can experience the sounds, steam and steel of bygone years. Your daily grind can’t follow you into the great, unspoiled West.
Originally part of the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad's narrow-gauge network, the line has been jointly owned by the states of Colorado and New Mexico since 1970.
In 1988, a nonprofit organization called the Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad was established to preserve the history of the railroad and help maintain infrastructure and rolling stock. The Friends of the C&TSRR also participates in various education programs and provides the railroad guides, known as docents, who inform passengers about historical aspects of the railroad as well as locations of interest.
A recent honor:
USA Today - "Best Train Ride in America”
Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad ranks among the most authentic steam-operated railroads still in existence. Passengers aboard this National Historic Landmark travel along a track laid in 1880 between Chama, N.M. and Antonito, Colo. Source...
Related Travel Info...
This is perfect for football season…a football-shaped meatloaf!
Use your favorite meatloaf recipe (or use the one below) and form it into a football shape with a nice ketchup-based sauce and cheese strips for the lacing.
How yummy and fun is that? Your friends and family will be impressed with your creativity. This football-shaped meatloaf is sure to please the “foodies” in the group!
Recipe makes 8 servings
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 cup milk
1 cup dried bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1/3 cup ketchup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, combine the beef, egg, onion, milk and bread OR cracker crumbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste and place in a lightly greased 5×9 inch loaf pan, OR form into a loaf and place in a lightly greased 9×13 inch baking dish.
3. In a separate small bowl, combine the brown sugar, mustard and ketchup. Mix well and pour over the meatloaf.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour.
5. The finishing touch is cheese strips for the lacing.
(A variation to this football-shaped meatloaf is to substitute some of the ground beef with ground turkey.)
This Football-shaped Meatloaf is sure to please your party guests!
Head for Steamboat Springs any season of the year – Here’s Why!
* Tubing at several locations – Howelsen Hill – Steamboat – Saddleback Ranch’s Yee-Haw Tubing Hill – Yampa River
* Natural Hot Springs and Mineral Pools (To Die For – Very Relaxing!)
* Steamboat Pro Rodeo – Old Fashion Wagon rides and Dinner
* Slingshot Bungee Jump Trampoline (oh boy… be careful)
* Plenty of music festivals all year round for all ages (Click the link below)
* Mountain activities include, Hiking – Mountain biking – Horseback riding – ATV and Jeep tours – Hot air balloon rides
* During the ski season – Steamboat is rated Number 1 in the U.S., known as Ski Town USA
Steamboat Springs is a “must visit” in Colorado! See more at:
Related Travel Post: Buena Vista Adventures
1) Canteloupe – One serving has just 46 calories and nearly a day’s worth of vitamins A & C. It’s also a very good source of potassium. Eating it raw or making a fruit salad with a little feta and mint makes a delicious summer lunch.
2) Zucchini – Wow, only 29 calories in one cup and is high in fiber, vitamins A, C and K and also potassium. It also adds bulk and substance to your diet. Zucchini is versatile in that it can be grilled, eaten raw, stuffed, made into chips or used to replace noodles in homemade lasagna.
3) Eggplant – This purple beauty is a good source of vitamins B6 & K as well as being a very good source of fiber. It is also low in calories and contains antioxidants that fight disease. The purple color is a cue that it will benefit the heart and memory. Prepare it sautéed, grilled or cubed in a stir fry or on a sandwich.
4) Blackberries – Blackberries are a good source of potassium and vitamins E, C, K & manganese. They are also loaded with fiber and antioxidants. Other benefits include protecting the heart and lowering blood pressure. They add a nice taste to a glass of ice water or seltzer or add them to salads. Blackberries are popular in baked goods as well.
5) Yellow Summer Squash – This is also known as “crookneck or straightneck” squash. It is rich in fiber, vitamins C, K, and potassium and has very few calories. Prepare it grilled, in a summer soup or be creative and use it as a pizza topping.
A culinary tip: A grilling basket or tray is a very easy way to prepare veggies alongside your main meal on the grill. It makes for easy clean up and no mess in the kitchen!
Let us know which summer super foods are your favorite…Comment Below
Read more here: Super Foods
Eat Plenty of Summer Super Foods for a Healthier Diet!
Colorado Springs Over 50
We would love to hear from you on ideas you would like us to investigate and write about.