Has it ever occurred to you how distracted and stressed we have become as a society and how we could live a happier life? We have lost the ability to slow down and appreciate the good things in life. Perhaps we have forgotten how simple it is to embrace the moment, be grateful, and to find happiness no matter our current situation.
A local blogger recently made a list of 101 ways to live a happier life on her blog, and every single one of them resonated with us. They are things many of us already do, and some of them we plan on implementing moving forward. Our hope in sharing the first 25 items of ways to live a happier life is that it will inspire others to choose happiness despite the stress of the world around us!
For the complete list of the ways to live a happier life, Click Here.
For more Healthy Living, Click Here.
What would you add to the list of living a Happier Life?
Put camping in Colorado on your activity list this summer!
There are thousands of campsites in Colorado ready to help visitors experience the beauty of the state’s wilderness areas.
Colorado has thousands of campsites, so it’s easy to find a tranquil spot to get back to basics and enjoy the simplicity of nature.
Basic Info to Know About Summer Camping in Colorado:
1) Colorado State Parks administers forty-two parks throughout the state. This system alone has more than 4,000 campsites.
2) In addition, the US Forest Service manages 14 million acres of land in the state’s 11 National Forests and two National Grasslands.
3) The Bureau of Land Management oversees an additional 8.4 million acres.
4) Both of the above agencies have campsites that range from developed areas with restrooms, fire rings, water and other amenities to remote areas. They have no amenities and are reached only by horse, mountain bike or backpacking. Reservations can be made at recreation.gov.
5) There are many privately owned campsites in Colorado which have perks you may not find on public lands. These include playgrounds, hot tubs, laundry facilities and Wi-Fi.
6) One caveat for camping in Colorado is that the weather can change quickly, even in the summer months. It’s best to wear layered clothing.
7) You may be required to purchase a pass or permit depending on your location. Plan ahead by visiting the website listed below and the information posted at campground entrances.
What about this modular tent???
Packing Essentials for Summer Camping in Colorado:
(Courtesy of Camping in Colorado: The Basics)
• Tent with a rain cover
• Down sleeping bag (even in summer, it can get below freezing in Colorado’s higher altitudes)
• Pillow and sleeping pad (keeps you warmer than just sleepin’ on the ground)
• Camp stove and/or matches to use your campsite’s fire pit
• Plenty of drinking water and food
• Can opener, aluminum foil, paper plates, cups/mugs, utensils, multipurpose knife, trash bags, paper towels
• Layers of clothing, including water-resistant coat, wool socks and long underwear
• Sunscreen, bug spray, first-aid kit, toilet paper
Camping in Colorado…A Camper’s Paradise!
Related Camping Post:
Car Camping at its Best – Over 50!
Want to keep your heart healthy? Finally! We’ve been looking for a valid reason to justify the afternoon nap and now we have it. This is especially helpful for the Over 50 population.
Researchers at the European Society of Cardiology conference in London stated that that an hour or more nap has important health benefits. It can cut blood pressure and lower the chance of a heart attack or stroke. It also contributes to people taking fewer blood pressure medications. What a great way to keep your heart healthy!
Lead researcher, Dr Manolis Kallistratos, a cardiologist at Asklepieion Voula General Hospital in Athens, Greece, said, “Two influential UK prime ministers were supporters of the midday nap. Winston Churchill said that we must sleep some time between lunch and dinner while Margaret Thatcher didn’t want to be disturbed around 3pm. According to our study, they were right because midday naps seem to lower blood pressure levels. They may also probably decrease the number of required anti-hypertensive medications.”
He added: “Μidday sleep is a habit that nowadays is almost a privileged due to a nine to five working culture and intense daily routine. However the real question regarding this habit is: is it only a custom or is it also beneficial?”
The findings of the study suggest that midday sleepers have less damage from high blood pressure in their arteries and heart,” according to Dr Kallistratos.
The study showed that midday sleep is associated with lower blood pressure. It also found that longer ‘sleeps’ are even more beneficial. It’s interesting that the midday sleepers had greater dips in blood pressure while sleeping at night. This is associated with better health outcomes.
Patients who slept during the midday were under fewer anti-hypertension medications compared to those who didn’t have their midday nap.
The conclusion was that the midday nap is associated with lower 24 hour blood pressure as well as a fall of BP at night. This results in less damage to the arteries and the heart.
The longer the midday nap, the lower the systolic BP levels and probably fewer drugs needed to lower BP.”
Of course, there is balance in all things. You should still make daily exercise and healthy eating a priority. But, it’s nice to know we can reward ourselves with some rest on a daily basis!
So, if you can, make naps a priority in your daily schedule, and if you really need an excuse, tell people you are doing it for your health!
More Healthy Living: Mood Swings
Over 50? Indulge in a nap to keep your heart healthy!
Medallion art is the answer if you are looking for a quick and easy as well as a fun project!
Bring unique and interesting details into your home with carved, ready-made ceiling medallions.
Be creative and think of the possibilities in both design and color!
They can be painted to match or accent any color scheme.
Photo Credit: Medallion Wall Art
* They’re lightweight and easy to hang.
* They are readily available at home improvement stores.
* It is also easy to update your decor by repainting the medallions as your taste preferences change.
* Hang them in groups for instant interest.
Medallion make a statement in any room!
Source: Click Here
Related Exercising the Mind Post: Hobbies
Be Creative and Innovative with Medallion Art!
These quick and oh, so easy, Easter bunny cupcakes are perfect for Easter as well as for an animal-themed birthday party.
Start with purchased cupcakes or make your own from scratch.
1. Place white decorating frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a multi-opening tip. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes.
2. Sprinkle a work surface with sugar. Use a rolling pin to flatten large white gumdrops; cut or shape long triangles for ears. Press ends of two gumdrop triangles into the frosting near top of each cupcake. Pipe pink icing for insides of ears.
3. Pipe black icing for whiskers. Add a pink jelly bean nose. Pipe white icing for eyes (or use large white round candies); pipe a pupil onto each eye with black icing.
If you prefer brown bunnies, use chocolate frosting and dark gumdrops.
April 15 is here!
If you can’t finish your taxes on time, relax. You have options.
If you don’t have your documents in order or haven’t made real progress on your tax return, filing for an extension by April 15 sounds like a good idea.
However, getting more time isn’t as simple as it sounds.
Here are seven things you should know if you can’t finish your taxes on time:
1. You still have to act by April 15. The paperwork is still due on April 15!
2. If you owe money, you have to pay. You’ll need to fill out enough of your tax return to come up with a rough estimate of what you owe. And, send the amount owed to the IRS on time! People filing for a tax extension are still required to pay 90% of what they believe they’ll owe by the April Tax Day deadline.
3. Failing to file is worse than failing to pay. You don’t want a failure-to-file penalty. It is usually 5% of the unpaid taxes for each month or part of a month your return is late, up to 25% of your bill.
4. Your bank may be kinder than Uncle Sam. You may want to pay your taxes with a credit card if you don’t have the cash on hand. The interest and fees may be less.
5. You may not need an extension. File your completed return and pay what you can. Request a short extension of 60 to 120 days to pay. The IRS provides installment payments.
6. If you are owed a refund, you won’t be penalized for not filing. However, you won’t get your refund until you file your return. So, get your money ASAP!
7. If you’re a chronic procrastinator, the IRS won’t issue your refund. If you don’t do your taxes for three years, even if you’re owed a refund, the IRS will keep your money. Again, Yikes!!
Can’t Finish Your Taxes on Time? – There are Solutions!
Cakes for Easter!
Here are five cake recipes to choose from that will be a hit on Easter Sunday! Growing up we always had cake for Easter dessert. Sometimes it was a layer cake and other times it was a bunny cake.
1) Easter Bunny Cake
This is a favorite of mine and is easy to make. It is definitely a topic of conversation at the dinner table. It also makes a great centerpiece!
For recipe, Click Here
2) Easy-to-make Bunny Cake!
Two layer cake rounds and a little cutting and shaping will make a Bunny Cake in no time!
For recipe, Click Here
3) Easter Egg Layered Cake
This is such a pretty cake and is easy to make. Kids love the various colors of the layers and Mom’s love the simple, easy recipe.
For recipe, Click Here
4) Peeps® Easter Garden Cake
What a fun cake for all ages…bunnies in the garden!
For recipe, Click Here
5) Tiramisu Layer Cake
If you want a more traditional cake dessert, this easy version of the wonderful Tiramisu is a perfect choice for Easter dinner.
Enjoy Making and Eating these Cakes for Easter!
Colorado Vacations – Vail!
Here’s why you want to vacation in Vail:
* Mountain vacationing and easy to get to off I-70.
* Located high up in the Gore Valley and surrounded by the White River National Forest.
* European Alpine village atmosphere (Like being in Europe – No jet lag).
* Number 1 ski destination in the US – Vail Mountain with over 5000 acres of ski-able terrain, 31 Lifts, 193 Marked Trails (More than enough to satisfy).
Photo Credit: Vail
* It’s three villages, Vail Village, Lionshead, and Golden Peak, provide access to these trails and lifts.
* Vail Resorts owns three other resorts within easy driving distance: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Keystone.
* Vail’s own Adventure Ridge offers horseback riding, rock climbing, mini golf, Frisbee golf and ziplines. These activities are fun for the whole family and provide adventures for all ages and ability levels. On Friday, you can take advantage of FAC (Friday Afternoon Club) for free food and drinks as well as live music.
* Low impact skiing (a.k.a. Cross Country Skiing) is plentiful in season, see the Vail Nordic Center for more.
* Great shopping (Check your credit card balance).
* Restaurants galore with a variety of cuisines.
* Rafting and kayaking.
Enjoy – Colorado Vacations Vail!
See more at: Vail Activities
Related Travel Post: Hot Springs in Colorado
Would you believe that some foods have more sugar than a candy bar?
First of all, did you know that a Snickers Bar has 27 grams of sugar in it?
Whoa…that’s maybe a “once a year” treat! Let’s not stop there because there are 5 seemingly healthy foods (and we could add 100’s more) that have even more sugar than your favorite candy bar.
Here’s the list:
1) Jamba Juice Banana Berry Smoothie (small) Would you believe…60 grams of sugar—that’s huge! “Make it Light” decreases sugar to 32 grams which is still too many.
2) Power Bar Performance Energy Bar in Citrus Burst – Each bar has 29 grams of sugar and 6 grams of protein…the citrus contributes little nutrition value.
3) Starbucks Greek Yogurt with Honey Parfait – A “sugar bomb” with 30 grams of sugar. Choose something with fruit which should satisfy your sugar cravings.
4) Craisins – Sugar is added since they are naturally tart. There are 29 grams of sugar in 1/4 cup…better not eat too many!
5) Grape Juice – There is nutritional value to grape juice but it contains a whopping 36 grams for 8 ounces.
The bottom line is Read Labels on all food items so you know what you’re buying. Your healthy lifestyle will thank you for it!
Source: Sugary Foods
Related Post: Healthier Banana Bread
Yes, These Foods Have More Sugar Than a Candy Bar!
Don’t you just love this tiered Easter egg centerpiece?
It’s easy to assemble and will, no doubt, be the topic of conversation at your Easter dinner.
Supplies you will need:
1) Two-tiered serving plate
2) Craft bird nests
3) Shredded crinkle or fine cut craft paper
4) Dyed Easter eggs
5) Spring flowers and twigs
Single-color name cards and napkins with an Easter motif complement the centerpiece, and now you have a stunning Easter table! Source: Click Here
How are Easter dates decided?
This year (2019) Easter is on April 21. Hopefully, it is a nice, warm day!
This holiday is a movable feast but it always falls somewhere between March 22 and April 25 every year.
It’s calculated as the first Sunday after the first full moon following the first day of spring. The full moon is known as the Paschal (Passover) Full moon.
Easter Door Umbrella Decoration
Easter Egg Centerpiece – Just perfect for your Easter dining table!
Colorado Springs Over 50
We would love to hear from you on ideas you would like us to investigate and write about.