It’s time to decorate your front door for spring and the upcoming Easter celebrations with this easy, creative umbrella door decoration.
By using spring colors and items associated with springtime, you will have a great addition to your front door.
* A bouquet of pink tulips, along with greenery and dyed eggshells filled with daffodils. They are tucked neatly into an umbrella for a unique Easter door decoration.
* To make, tie a pretty pink ribbon halfway up a closed umbrella to create a makeshift vase for your arrangement.
* Create pockets between front ribs and tuck in tissue paper to support a crafts-store bird’s nest. Use blown-out dyed Easter eggs, fresh flowers, and greenery such as ferns and moss.
* When you’re finished, wire the arrangement to a hook to hang on your front door.
* You now have a door umbrella decoration that is just right for spring and Easter!
To keep flowers fresh, put the stems in water vials or heavy plastic bags filled with floral foam powder which is available at floral supply stores.
Related Post: Hobbies That Will Make You Smart
Umbrella Door Decoration – Celebrate Spring and Easter in Style!
Tiramisu Layer Cake
Italian dessert recipes aren’t that hard to make and especially this one.
This is an easy version of the wonderful Tiramisu that is a favorite dessert for many.
Using a box cake mix as a base makes it a real time saver and you still get the fancy taste without all the work!
Let us know how you like this yummy Italian dessert!
Yield: 1 – 3 layer 9 inch cake
Enjoy this Delicious Tiramisu Layer Cake Recipe!
Healthier Banana Bread
Now, doesn’t this banana bread look scrumptious? And, the recipe has been modified to make it healthier.
The amount of sugar has been reduced and applesauce has been used to replace some of the oil. Personally, I would use coconut oil instead of the vegetable oil. It is healthier!
You can use coconut sugar in place of some of the brown sugar.
Another Banana Bread Recipe: Cranberry Banana Bread
Oh, those mood swings that seem to be an inevitable part of our lives!
Did you know you can actually control them so the good days are even better and the bad days aren’t so bad after all? Regardless of your age, surroundings or background, you can reduce your mood swings and increase your overall happiness.
Four proven ways to reduce mood swings and increase your happiness:
1) Diet and Mood Swings – What you eat really does make a difference in how you feel each day, especially your overall mood. Eating lots of fresh, organic fruits, vegetables, high-quality grains and lean protein is a good place to start. Your “happiness baseline” will be higher and you can keep on improving. You can also add dark chocolate and stay away from alcohol, nicotine and sugar for even more success in balancing mood swings.
2) Exercise and Mood Swings – Getting a “runner’s high” is the result of prolonged physical activity because it releases mood-enhancing endorphins. This equates to 30 minutes of aerobic exercise two to three times a week which can have a very positive effect on your overall happiness. Exercise also keeps your body healthier and gives you more energy which lessens the risk of going into a slump.
3) Rest and Mood Swings – We can’t emphasize enough the importance of getting a minimum of six or seven hours of sleep a night. Your body must have sleep to repair itself! Rest also encompasses quiet time in the form of meditation, sitting quietly sipping a warm beverage or any other method of quieting the body and mind without distractions. Our addiction to technology is a major contributor to the stress in America today!
4) Happiness Emphasis and Mood Swings – It is possible to elevate your mood by simple daily exercises.
These bonus tips will help you get started on your way to more happiness and less stress in your life:
Are you looking for last minute St. Patrick’s Day food ideas? Well, we have just what you need.
These are easy to make and will be enjoyed by young and old alike!
Olives, blueberries, green grapes, pineapple, orange slices, strawberries, small marshmallows and gold foil wrapped candy.
Chocolate Cupcakes w/ Green Frosting and Gold Foil Wrapped Coins
This is an easy way to make any cupcakes into St. Patrick’s Day cupcakes. Chocolate and white cake mixes or recipes work well with the green frosting.
Shamrock Smoothie w/ Gold Coins
Cut up bananas for the “gold coins” or use gold foil wrapped coins for accents!
Corned Beef and Cabbage Spring Rolls
St. Patrick’s Day Food Ideas – Make it a Fun and Memorable Irish Day!
Did you know there are hot springs destinations in Colorado? For hundreds of years Coloradans have flocked to the relaxing and healing waters that are distinct to natural hot springs.
Due to the heat and minerals found in these hot springs all over Colorado, they are said to have healing properties which leave you feeling rejuvenated!
Hot spring pools are, without a doubt, extremely relaxing and beautiful.
Why should we make a trip to an Earth’s natural spa?
The main benefits of hot spring pools are:
With all these therapeutic benefits, how could you not want to make your way to a hot spring?
We created a list of some of the most popular hot springs to visit in Colorado. We hope you’ll go check them out! Just click on the links for more info.
1. Avalanche Ranch
Related Travel Post: The Great Sand Dunes
Enjoy these Hot Springs Destinations in Colorado!
Since many parts of the country are still in the grip of winter, this is a great time for bodyweight exercise that you can do in your living room.
Is your gym closed during the only hours you are available to exercise? Enough of the icy roads, bitter temps, and the hassles of getting to the gym.
Bodyweight exercises! This is one of the best routines for in-home exercise.
The advantages of bodyweight exercises are:
1) Workouts are highly efficient. Since they require no equipment, you spend a minimal amount of time transitioning from one exercise to the next.
2) Your own body provides all the resistance needed to help you get fit by addressing every muscle in your body.
3) You can perform hundreds of exercises in a small space that are adapted to your fitness level.
4) Your core strength is improved as well as your flexibility and balance.
5) In-home bodyweight exercise takes care of the issues of inclement weather, time constraints, or boredom from the gym scene…plus it’s free…what a deal!
Just a reminder…if you aren’t using proper form, you can potentially hurt yourself. It doesn’t matter if you’re in a gym or in your own basement. Many people do popular exercises incorrectly, so follow the suggestions in the video for proper form. Enjoy and have a great workout!!
So, what is this ‘Pedal Power of the Baby Boomer’ cycling?
Well, you have probably seen them swooshing down the street or on a bike path, heads down and really getting after it!
They look muscular and sleek and have all the trappings of helmets, reflective clothing, the latest sport’s watch and rain gear.
So it seems that, at least for Baby Boomers, cycling is the new golf!
And, here’s why:
1) Cycling is flexible in that it lacks boundaries – you can basically go anywhere.
2) It has less impact than most other sports.
3) Once you buy your bicycle, it is relatively inexpensive.
4) In many parts of North America it can be done year-round.
5) You can be competitive or non-competitive.
6) You can ride for fitness, charity or convenience (ride to work).
7) You can literally expand your horizons and see new and different places.
We like cycling because it is such a great way to exercise, burn calories and build muscles. And, there is no added burden on the knees as there is with jogging! Also, you can go slow or fast…set your own pace.
Bicycling is a great group activity. There are bike clubs where you can meet new people. Or, better yet, ride with your kids or grandkids. It is a perfect activity for retired Baby Boomers!
If you use bike paths or rural roads, you are relatively riding for pleasure. Go online to find bike paths in your area.
Getting out in the fresh air and enjoying Mother Nature up close is definitely a benefit of riding a bicycle out doors. It is refreshing and peaceful…a special time for reflection and gratitude!
Since most of us rode bikes when we were growing up, there’s not much of a learning curve. See you out on the streets, trails and highways!
Related Post: Healthy Living for Grandparents
Baby Boomers ~ Enjoy the Outdoors by Going Cycling!
Design Your life – Healthy living for Grandparents
Looking into the mirror at your grayed out hair and wrinkled skin, you probably reminisce about those blissful moments when you held your bundle of joy in your arms for the first time. Now, a couple of decades later, your bundle(s) of joy have flown the nest and you are back to thinking about what makes your life worth living. It is just a matter of time before you receive an answer to that question.
Grandkids not only let you relive your life’s greatest moments but also make it much more fun to do so! Somehow looking after grandchildren is a lot more enjoyable and much less demanding affair. But to keep pace with those young and energetic hearts and to maximize your fun quotient, it is necessary to build up your strength and sustain it. Healthy living is not a fad that is meant for the younger generation.
As archaic as it sounds, life definitely starts after 40 and it is in your hands to make it worthwhile. Here are a few pointers for you to become the healthiest and the most involved grandparents ever.
Keep close tabs on your health
The best way to keep your body healthy is to know what you are up against. Keep close tabs on your health by drafting regular check-up plans and sticking to it diligently. Getting screened for ailments that are common after the 50 age mark, everything from diabetes to heart, kidney ailments and cancer, should be in your top priority list every few months. Identifying your problems on time helps greatly with the treatment and its success.
Watch what you put into your mouth
Age transforms the way you and your body look at food. From changes in metabolism to modifications in taste buds, you need to adapt your lifestyle to suit your body and its demands. While minimizing sodium and sugar intake, it is necessary to maximize intake of fruits, vegetables, fibers, lean protein etc, Ensure that you always stay hydrated with water and other fluids. Cooking and eating need not be a lonely affair. Socialize and get more involved with people around you to make it more interesting.
Bring in that zing
Age is all the more reason to stay lively and active. Add some physical and mental activity into your daily routine. Take an hour of your time to invigorate your body through simple workouts like walking, jogging, yoga and fight your heart and bone ailments much more effectively. It is best to consult your physician and health advisor before starting any physical activity. As you age your mental acumen declines and that is not a secret but there are ways to reduce its effect. From books, simple puzzles, crosswords and small games to hobbies that motivate you, spare some time to bring back the zing in your routine.
Get some shut-eye
Sleep issues like insomnia are some of the major causes of physical ailments in older people. Though your sleep patterns might undergo changes as you age, simple practices like transforming your bedroom to look and feel more dark and comfortable, changing your bedtime, taking a bath before bed, avoiding television etc, can significantly boost the chances of getting a good night’s sleep.
You are the one person in this world to know what brings you happiness. Be it long forgotten hobbies or contributing for worthy causes or participating in community development programs, be it socializing and finding new friends and connecting with your family or bonding with pets, pick your source of joy and work on it to peel away any discontent and depression from your life.
By choosing to be healthy and happy you are transforming yourself into fantastic role models for your grandkids to follow. As much as grandchildren would like to hear stories from you, you should remember that the greatest story that you share with them will be that of your life.
For More: Healthy Living Tips for Grandparents
A Neat & Tidy Post: A Less-Cluttered Bedroom
Healthy Living for Grandparents – A Must to Age Well and Enjoy Life!
Colorado Springs Over 50
We would love to hear from you on ideas you would like us to investigate and write about.