Blueberries will soon be in season and the health benefits of blueberries are numerous to say the least!
They contain a natural antioxidant known as “proanthocyanin” which has been found to fight cancer, help in weight loss as well as help to make your skin glow and appear more youthful.
Did you know that blueberries are native to North America? We didn’t know that but are glad they are grown in the USA since they have outstanding health benefits.
Did you know? The North American blueberry season and harvest runs from April to late September. Then, we start getting imports from South America to fill the grocery store shelves from October to March. Our winters and summers are just opposite which makes for perfect timing for harvesting blueberries.
Image Courtesy of Pinterest
Here are the seven health benefits of blueberries:
1) Anti-aging – Blueberries help reverse damage done by toxins and free radicals and also help your body defend itself against pathogens which can be dangerous to the body. Research show that blueberries have an antioxidant that helps reverse inflammation which is the underlying cause of many chronic diseases in the world.
2) Brain Health – Blueberries are full of phenols (namely gallic acid) which are known as “neuro-protective agents,” which means they can protect your brain from degeneration, neurotoxicity and oxidative stress. Eating blueberries has also been shown to slow down cognitive decline and improve memory and motor function.
3) Kills Cancer – Yes, you can attack cancer with food! And, especially food, such as blueberries, that is rich in gallic acid which can kill cancer without attacking healthy cells. This has been proved by clinical studies which you can reference in the source for this article. The antioxidant, resveratrol, is also found in blueberries and offers support in killing cancer cells.
4) Digestion – Since blueberries are a natural source of soluble and insoluble fiber, they can help balance the gastrointestinal track. They have pre-biotic properties which helps good bacteria grow in the colon and promotes good digestion.
5) Heart Health – Combining strawberries and blueberries produces a superpower effect that can decrease the risk of heart attack by up to 33%. Now, that’s significant! Blueberries have also been shown to lower LDL cholesterol, raise HDL cholesterol and lower blood pressure.
6) Skin – Skin care products containing blueberry extract are becoming popular and very effective because of the variety of vitamins and minerals in them which helps restore hormone balance. The resveratrol in blueberries also reduces damage to your skin from too much sun.
7) Weight Loss – Blueberries are not only low in calories but also low on the glycemic index. They are also high in fiber which makes them ideal for a weight loss program.
Related Healthy Living Post: Healthy Living Over 50